Understanding Ticket Fees

UNDERSTANDING TICKET FEES

There are various fees and taxes that are applied to ticket purchases above and beyond the base cost of the ticket. The revenue collected from service and delivery fees constitutes an essential part of our annual budget. This allows us to self-present/produce 100+ performing arts events per year (including two festivals), support rental and community events, bring 68,000 patrons through our doors, and distribute 15,691 tickets annually to community members with less access to the arts. We are deeply grateful for your support.

The revenue collected from sales tax is remitted to the State of Iowa.

Service Fees

We charge a service fee on each ticket sold:

  •  No fee for ticket on a face value up to $19.99
  • $2/ticket on a face value $20 to $29.99
  • $3/ticket on a face value equal to or greater than $30.00

In addition to the above, add $2 per ticket for tickets purchased online. The online service fee revenue is split with our ticketing provider, Midwestix, an Iowa-based company.  Midwestix reinvests portions of its revenue directly into community-focused Iowa endeavors like Maximum Ames Festival, 80/35 Festival, and Mission Creek Festival.

Delivery/Processing Fees

There is a $3 fee/order to hold your tickets (will-call) at the Box Office or a $4 delivery fee/order to have your tickets sent via First Class Mail. Tickets will be mailed until 10 days prior to the event. After that time, tickets will be held at will-call only.

Sales Tax

Per State of Iowa regulations we collect 6% sales tax on all transactions.

 

Fees FAQ

Why fees? Why don’t you just raise ticket prices instead?
The revenue gathered from the base ticket revenue covers the cost of producing each individual show with the majority of that revenue, typically 75 – 90%, going directly to artist-related expenses including the artist fee. We are in favor of this structure because we think it is essential to support artists, many of whom are just getting by as they travel from city to city. The performing arts are expensive for all parties involved and the margins are low.

I am already a donor, why do you need even more money from me?
Donations and contributed income cover about 35% of our overall revenue but the remaining earned income that fuels 65% of our revenue is important to maintain in order to achieve sustainability on an annual basis. Beyond the costs of producing events and staffing, we also face considerable ongoing maintenance and capital costs to keep our historic building in working order.

What is the cheapest way for me to get tickets?
Fees will always be the lowest if you stop by our Box Office in-person.

What are my buying options?

  • Online via midwestix.com
  • Via Phone: 319-688-2653
  • In Person at the Box Office located at 221 East Washington Street, Downtown Iowa City

What if I have other questions/ concerns that aren’t answered here?Email info@englert.org and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Buy Tickets
Upcoming Events
Aug 20, 2017
Aug 28, 2017
Sep 5, 2017
Sep 7, 2017
Sep 8, 2017
Sep 9, 2017