Englert Street Team
DATE POSTED: Ongoing
Join the Englert Street Team! The Englert Theatre is looking for live music fans to join our Street Team and help spread the word about upcoming shows.
- Phone Number
- Neighborhood/town you live
- Areas you might be able to distribute materials
- Why you wish to volunteer for the Englert.
Marketing & Design Specialist
DATE POSTED: 8/28/2018
FilmScene and The Englert Theatre are looking to hire a qualified professional located in the Iowa City area to assist both organizations’ marketing departments. This position is a collaborative opportunity to work with two organizations with separate missions and longstanding partnerships. The Marketing &
Design Specialist is an hourly position working an anticipated 40 hours per week (25 hrs/week at FilmScene and 15 hrs/week at the Englert).
Our organizations are looking for an individual with excellent communication skills (both written and visual), demonstrated experience in marketing and design, superb time management and organization, and an understanding and appreciation of the missions of both organizations.
About the Organizations
FilmScene is a mission-driven, nonprofit organization dedicated to enriching the cultural vitality of the Iowa City area through film programming that challenges, inspires, educates, and entertains. FilmScene operates a full-time community-supported cinema in downtown Iowa City showcasing the best in American independent, documentary, and international filmmaking. Special events, repertory selections, arts education, filmmaker support, and community development are all program areas of prime importance to FilmScene.
The Englert Theatre is a 501(c)3 nonprofit arts organization dedicated to inspiring and activating positive community growth through the arts. This includes owning, maintaining, and operating the Englert – Iowa City’s last historic theater – as a vital community arts space as well as expanding the Englert’s programming vision and collaborative efforts beyond the walls of the theater through institutional efforts like Mission Creek Festival and Witching Hour and other projects that develop through vibrant partnerships. Programming seeks a balance between familiar and unknown, emerging and established, and local and far-reaching artistry.
Working closely with and reporting to FilmScene’s Associate Director, the specialist is responsible for
weekly email communication with members, social media messaging, and visual design for print, web and
screen. Areas of responsibility include advertising (print, radio, posters, web), FilmScene’s website, email
marketing, and social media. Specific duties include:
● Designing and writing content for a series of weekly emails, including event announcements,
programming updates and communications.
● Developing FilmScene advertising materials for traditional and nontraditional marketing/media
outlets (newspaper and print); oversees aspects of in-theater advertising, pre-show slides, and
● Coordinating and maintaining online presence (website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google,
● Assisting in website updating and management.
● Working closely with the Bijou Film Board’s Marketing Director on related series materials.
● Assisting in developing strong relationships with individuals, businesses, and community
● Assisting in developing new initiatives to enhance the FilmScene brand and reach new
Working closely with and reporting to the Englert’s Marketing Director, the specialist will focus on design,
producing content meeting established company brand standards while being forward-thinking and
evolving our visual identity. Responsibilities include:
● Creating and designing materials including but not limited to: show promotional materials such as
posters, brand identity materials, print and digital advertisements, social media imagery, banners,
and original graphics and illustrations.
● Applying design concepts and proactively developing design solutions to satisfy marketing
objectives by using graphic design skill sets that include an eye for layout, typography, color,
brand integrity and prioritizing messaging hierarchy and content readability.
Skills & Experience
● Demonstrable experience working in marketing/publicity/design, preferably in the arts. 3 years+ preferred.
● Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
● Experience in social marketing, web design, and HTML coding.
● Time management skills, ability to work independently and initiate improvements.
● Strong copywriting experience.
● Excellent time management and organization skills, and the ability to prioritize a high workload volume, ensuring critical milestones are met.
● Ability to work calmly in difficult, high pressure, and high stress situations with multiple deadlines.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
● An understanding of and appreciation of the missions of FilmScene and The Englert Theatre.